Serious health problems, injuries, and illnesses require immediate care. When your pet urgently needs to see a veterinarian, Galway Veterinary Hospital offers quality emergency care.
If your pet is a current patient of Galway Veterinary Hospital and has an emergency after those hours, please call: 518-882-1850 and wait to speak to a live operator.
Signs your pet may need emergency care:
- Pale gums
- Rapid breathing
- Weak or rapid pulse
- Change in body temperature
- Difficulty standing
- Apparent paralysis
- Loss of consciousness
- Excessive bleeding
- Pets who are severely ill or injured may try to bite, claw, or act in an aggressive manner toward those trying to help them. Approach any injured or sick pet slowly and calmly; say their name and see how the animal reacts. Call for help if the pet reacts aggressively.
- For dogs, fashion a makeshift stretcher if the animal is unable to move. Make sure the neck is supported.
- For cats, slowly place a blanket or towel over the head to prevent biting. Slowly lift the animal into an open-topped carrier or box.
- Elevate and apply pressure to any bleeding wound.
If you think your pet has eaten something poisonous:
Call us at 518-882-1850 immediately!